About the Undergraduate Accelerator
For many international students, the move to a university in the U.S. can be as challenging as it is rewarding. Want to make the most of your new language, new ways of learning and your new home?
The KU Undergraduate Accelerator (UA) eases your transition. How? By combining credit-bearing courses from the first year of your degree with additional support services created especially for international students. So you’re set up for maximum success, thanks to:
- Teaching tailored to your academic and language level
- Enriching cultural experiences
- Receiving 24/7 support from trained staff
American Cultural Experiences
Learn the Rock Chalk cheer at a basketball game, celebrate American holidays together, and explore all that Lawrence, KS has to offer — just three of the many American university experiences you’ll have during your first year.
Our dedicated student services team and tailored English-language curriculum make sure that you’re prepared for your classes. Plus, you’ll feel more comfortable socially so you can join the KU community.
Concierge Support Services
You’ll have access to exclusive concierge services, including a 24/7 support line for all questions. Of course, your dedicated KU UA AAP student services team is always happy to help too.
Small Class Sizes
You’re given greater individual attention and tailored support with our small class sizes.
Think applying to college has to be stressful? KU's admissions team provides fast turnaround on applications and answers to your questions. Plus, you'll receive dedicated support to ensure you submit all the correct paperwork.
We’re here to help you get settled in your exciting new home! KU UA students benefit from free airport pickup, move-in help, class registration support and help with day-to-day concerns such as setting up a bank account and a mobile phone.
There are three flexible Undergraduate Accelerator tracks to choose from, depending on your qualifications and personal preferences.
Integrated Accelerator Program (IAP)
The Integrated Accelerator Program (IAP) is a two-semester program designed specifically for international students with an advanced level of English-language proficiency but who also want the academic, cultural, professional and linguistic support they need to thrive at KU. The program features a robust advising and mentorship component, as well as access to the most exclusive, in-demand courses. Students may enter the program in the spring, summer or fall. Upon completion of the program, students progress into year two of their undergraduate education with a full year’s worth of academic credits.
- For the high-achieving international student, the Integrated Accelerator Program provides an exclusive and academically rigorous freshman-year experience.
- Priority access to a selection of courses hand-picked by your academic advisor, which are tailored to your interests and career goals.
- Find success with coaches and mentors who help ensure you have access to the resources you need to get the most out of your education and your experience in the United States.
- Expand your network through career preparation and programming that deepens your connection to KU, your fellow students and potential employers.
GPA requirement: 2.5
Test score requirements: IELTS 6.5+, no subscore below 6.0 except speaking/TOEFL 88, no subscore below 23 except speaking
Academic Accelerator Program 2 (AAP2)
The Academic Accelerator Program 2 (AAP2) is a two-semester program designed specifically for students who are ready to succeed in immersive English-speaking classrooms, but who also want the benefit of English-language and student support that will help them thrive. The program curriculum offers a balance of KU-wide and AAP2-exclusive courses, with English-language course supplements that equip students with the practical, subject-specific vocabulary and skills they need to excel in their coursework. Students may enter the program in the spring, summer or fall. Upon completion of the program, students progress into year two of their undergraduate education with a full year’s worth of academic credits.
- Just the right amount of support when you need it. The Academic Accelerator Program 2 features a curriculum designed to accommodate your academic and English language needs.
- Credit-bearing, so you can earn a full freshman year’s-worth of credits while taking courses tailored to your needs as an international student, helping you achieve your academic and career goals.
- English-language instruction designed around your social and academic needs; for example, you will be prepared specifically for the classes you will take, such as Algebra and U.S. History.
- Integrated with open and closed courses, so you’ll be in some classes with U.S. students and others with your designated Undergraduate Accelerator cohort.
GPA requirement: 2.5
Test score requirements: IELTS 6.0, no subscore below 5.5 except speaking/TOEFL 76, no subscore below 19
Academic Accelerator Program 3 (AAP3)
The Academic Accelerator Program 3 (AAP3) is a three-semester program for students seeking an immersive English-learning experience. The program gives students a firsthand practical and cultural understanding of the KU campus and Lawrence area through its contextual curriculum. Students may enter the program in the spring, summer or fall. Upon completion of the program, students progress into year two of their undergraduate education with a full year’s worth of academic credits.
- An immersive educational experience with a contextual curriculum bridging language, culture and academics.
- Lawrence and the World is a unique course designed for international students that will deepen your working knowledge of life in the United States and give you a comprehensive understanding of the local community and region.
- Bolster your academic achievement with turbo-charged English-language instruction, tutoring, academic advising and student support.
- Benefit from personalized English-language instruction that’s fully contextual – for instance, lab-specific English-language instruction alongside your lab-science course.
GPA requirement: 2.5
Test score requirements: IELTS 5.5, no subscore below 5.0 except speaking/TOEFL 68, no subscore below 15
Add content here.
Time to completion varies based on a student’s English-language ability, degree choice and course load per semester.